[tor-relays] Relay data limit

Dan dan at salmon.cat
Wed Dec 20 01:31:31 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I've been running a middle relay on a VPS for about 2 months now. The provider limits the monthly data transferred to 5TB but does not charge for over-usage. Instead, the bandwidth is throttled to 1Mb/s after the limit is reached until the 1st of the next month.

I currently have AccountingMax set to 2.5 TB (since it's the max in each direction) and AccountingStart set to "month 1 00:00". Generally that 5TB limit is hit between the 15th and 17th of the month, causing the relay to go dormant until the 1st.

What I'm wondering is:

1 - Is it better for the network if the relay is active 24/7, even if sometimes it's much slower?
2 - Will it negatively affect my relay's reputation if sometimes it's very slow?

Thank you

--
Dan