[tor-relays] Middle relay IP blocking

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Mon Aug 7 23:22:12 UTC 2023

On Montag, 7. August 2023 22:28:32 CEST s7r wrote:

> While all the above is true, a thing to remember is to make sure we
> don't end up all renting too many VPS'es or dedicated servers in the
> same places / same AS numbers - we need network diversity,
Especially at the exits, which unfortunately occur in a few places and in
large heaps. Approx 50%: Berlin Germany, Utrecht Netherlands, Roost
Luxembourg.

> it is a very
> important factor, more AS numbers, more providers, more physical
> locations, etc. So, running at home is super good and recommended from
> this perspective, provides us with the diversity we need,

You made a good list of underused ISP's on lowendtalk and on nusenu's
OrNetStat there are over 500 AS where only 1 or 2 relays are running. There
should be enough data centers in the world to achieve diversity even without
running at home.
https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/#autonomous-systems-by-cw-fraction

Runnig snowflake @home is a nice option. Many relays @home only have kbit/s of
bandwidth. In my humble opinion, a Tor relay should offer at least 10 MB/s.

> however who can afford the
> hassle should definitely run a middle relay or bridge at home
Yes, anyone with a good internet connection at home can do this.
At least in Germany, every ISP offers its customers a http & ftp proxy. Use
them in your browser or OS. This might have less of a problem running Tor
relays at home. Because most websites will then see the proxy IP.

> (even Exit
> relay, I do run an Exit relay at my office place and I had one police
> visit in like 8 years or so).
@office is different than @home. I wouldn't advise anyone to run an exit at home.
It's no fun when the cops ring at 6:00 am and search your whole apartment. And
if you're unlucky, they take all computers, cell phones and other 'things'.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!