[tor-relays] Debian is not allowing tor to update despite it being listed as a trusted respritory

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Wed May 4 11:34:08 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 7:10:00 PM CEST Keifer Bly wrote:
> I am not sure how to get rid of the trusty / ubuntu packages?

You just have to write 'buster' instead of 'trusty'. Either in /etc/apt/
sources.list or you have created the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list?

> I simply followed the instructions here:
> https://support.torproject.org/apt/tor-deb-repo/

You are running oldstable 'buster', this guide has been updated for stable
'bullseye' and testing 'bookworm'. The 'signed-by=foo-bar-keyring' is not yet
required in buster, but it doesn't hurt.
The new 'deb.torproject.org-keyring' package renews both keyrings in:
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ and /usr/share/keyrings/

¹Apt-key will last be available in Debian 11 and Ubuntu 22.04.
Since bullseye, 'apt-key add' has been deprecated and is no longer available
in bookworm. Only 'apt-key del' then still works.

¹https://manpages.debian.org/testing/apt/apt-key.8.en.html

Background info:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1286545/what-commands-exactly-should-replace-the-deprecated-apt-key
or $websearch: Why apt-key is deprecated?

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!