[tor-relays] Questions about Fallbacks

Michael Gerstacker michael.gerstacker at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 8 07:02:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

when i setted up my relays i choosed 443 as the ORPort.
My thought behind it was that 443 is most likely not blocked and less
likely observed because the ISP could expect to anyway only see encrypted
data so a Tor connection will more likely slip through it.

I let the DirPort on 9030 because i read that clients anyway only use the
ORPort and i thought if a authority will connect to me it makes no
difference because none of my ports is blocked.

Now some of my relays are Fallbacks.

Would it be a benefit for the network if i change the DirPort to 80 or is
the DirPort still not used by clients?

Is it necessary to opt-out the relay as a fallback if it was shut down by
the provider and already is long gone from metrics?