[tor-relays] How can we trust the guards?

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 20:58:18 UTC 2017

Sorry for the naïve question, but we have a total of about 7000 relays, many
of them residential and thus practically unused or very lightly used. So the
actual number of relays that carry most of the traffic is rather small, and
many of them are middle relays, leaving an even smaller number of guard
relays. This means that an adversary with a rather modest budget can easily
take over half the guards.

Whats’ the trust mechanism (if any) to ensure that the majority of guards
are not hijacked by adversaries?