[tor-relays] Deciding where to put new Tor relays

A. Johnson aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil
Mon Sep 21 20:31:34 UTC 2015

Hi Virgil,

It appears that vizAS detects connections between ASes when they are observed as adjacent on paths reported by Route Views [0]. When I construct AS-level routing maps (e.g. as in [1]), I combine Route Views data with the AS-level topology produced by CAIDA [2]. The CAIDA topology is created from links observed in the traceroutes continually performed by their three (I think) teams of ~12 probers each.

Do you know how APNIC/RIPE produces the “high-quality BGP-peering graphs for the entire Internet”? I know that RIPE has been building a pretty large Internet measurement platform called Atlas [3]. I wonder if they are using some of that data.

Cheers,
Aaron

[0] "University of Oregon Route Views Project”, <http://www.routeviews.org/ <http://www.routeviews.org/>>
[1] "Users Get Routed: Traffic Correlation on Tor by Realistic Adversaries”, <http://ohmygodel.com/publications/usersrouted-ccs13.pdf <http://ohmygodel.com/publications/usersrouted-ccs13.pdf>>