[tor-relays] Tor crashes frequently on fast relay

Stephan tor-relay-list at torrified.de
Wed Sep 11 10:34:12 UTC 2013

On 11.09.2013 10:05, Random Tor Node Operator wrote:
> Sep 10 08:59:40.000 [notice] Interrupt: we have stopped accepting new
> connections, and will shut down in 30 seconds. Interrupt again to exit
> now.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, because I had similar symptoms: that
log message doesn't seem to be a crash but a regular shutdown. In my
case I use 'monit' to monitor my server and the running services -
including tor. Once in a while the automated TCP check on either the
OR-Port or the DIR-Port failed which resulted in monit stopping and
starting tor.

I reconfigured monit not to restart tor until at least three consecutive
TCP checks failed. Now I still get the warnings for failed checks from
time to time (maybe under high load?) but tor seems to run stable.

-Stephan