[tor-relays] [tor] Re: Hosting relays in the Netherlands

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Tue Mar 13 00:40:32 UTC 2012

On 03/11/2012 07:11 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> I'll add that AS path info is available from route views looking
> glasses. Think of it like traceroute, but for BGP. It's quite handy.
>
> A node map showing current GEO, AS, and provider would be a cool
> idea. Lots of cities have datacenters and moms/pops of some sort. People
> could then find a gap near them, then poke around the phonebook,
> webhostingtalk, datacentertalk, [NA]NOG's, etc to find a diverse fill.

Until such a cool tool is available, I will suggest a quick fix: select
nearly any location in Asia or Africa.

The U.S. and Europe are vastly over-represented in geography/population
vs. bandwidth due to the relative cheapness of international network
traffic in those locations.

Another scheme is to diversify by political sphere.  Should any given
country become draconian in its censorship of the Internet, what
percentage of Tor bandwidth will fall within the purview of that
country?  I'm thinking more about the nationality of the datacenter
owners than I am about the location of the datacenters themselves.