[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Sat Sep 20 22:24:43 UTC 2014

Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:33:58 -0400:

| Part of the general problem though is that many Tor exit relay operators
| don't really want publicity about their choice -- they've gotten enough
| buy-in locally to run the relay, but they don't really want CNN to show
| up wanting to interview their dean about why she is endorsing Tor.
|
| I wonder if somebody should start doing a "highlight a Tor exit relay
| operator" weekly column or something, to make it more commonplace
| to admit that you're running an exit relay? As an additional bird to
| kill, putting a human face on exit relays might help answer some of the
| concerns I get from people (even otherwise smart Tor fans) who say that
| the only people who can afford to run stable exit relays are people who
| are collaborating with the authorities to undermine Tor.

With my DFRI [1] hat on, I'd like to volunteer to present an alternative
view on how to run exit traffic in a sustainable manner, should someone
decide to pick up this idea. This is unrelated to relays at universities
and campuses but still a very good idea IMO.

[1] https://www.dfri.se/dfri/?lang=en