[tor-relays-universities] Tor relay on JANET

Iain R. Learmonth irl at fsfe.org
Thu Jun 5 20:43:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 04:05:45PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> You might start out by running a non-exit relay, to get them used to
> the idea?

I think that would be the right place to start. The one Ian Goldberg
mentioned at Cambridge is non-exit.

> They really shouldn't complain about that at all, but maybe
> they will and all of your conversations will go more smoothly if that's
> your starting point.

Are there any possibilities that running a relay would get an IP address
blacklisted anywhere? Do exit and non-exit relays get treated the same by
those that block Tor?

> Once you're making progress, you can tell them
> "and later we can talk about making it an exit relay".

We're an Internet engineering research group, so I imagine a research reason
is going to come up for an exit relay eventually (if it hasn't already - we
are looking into the list of open research questions).

Thanks,
Iain.

--
urn:x-human:Iain R. Learmonth
http://iain.learmonth.me/
mailto:irl at fsfe.org
xmpp:irl at jabber.fsfe.org
tel:+447875886930

GPG Fingerprint: 1F72 607C 5FF2 CCD5 3F01 600D 56FF 9EA4 E984 6C49
Please verify out-of-band before trusting with sensitive information.

This email was composed Thu  5 Jun 21:39:31 BST 2014.