[tor-qa] TBB 3.6.2 is ready for testing

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Jun 10 13:55:35 UTC 2014

Katya Titov:
> Georg Koppen:
> > Katya Titov:
> >> Georg Koppen:
> >>
> >> Everything works well, apart from the initial connection to
> >> https://panopticlick.eff.org. The result is a warning page saying
> >> that the connection is untrusted (error code:
> >> sec_error_unknown_issuer) and there is no way to proceed. Toggling
> >> noscript.alwaysBlockUntrustedContent from true to false fixes the
> >> problem, and then after toggling back to true the problem does *not*
> >> reoccur when restarted. It is only the first load after extraction
> >> which is the issue. I don't recall this happening before. Maybe a
> >> change in NoScript? (The root cause appears to be that the
> >> intermediate chain isn't being pushed from the server.)
> >
> > This happens with a clean, new TBB 3.6.1 as well. Thus, it is not
> > related to anything new in TBB 3.6.2.
>
> Thanks Georg. I ran out of time for a little while and haven't tested
> since 3.5.4. Hmmm ... I just extracted that version anew and it
> exhibits the same problem. Maybe it is because of the intermediate
> chain. I'll get in touch with EFF.

For what it's worth, I've also emailed Giorgio of NoScript. Since
changing that NoScript option seems to prevent the issue, it seems like
NoScript may be at fault here somehow.. Though I am also wondering if it
is perhaps an interaction between NoScript and HTTPS-Everywhere.

Thanks for narrowing this down to that NoScript option in TBB though!
That was extremely helpful.

--
Mike Perry