[tor-project] The Tor Project Community Policies new website!

Alex de Joode adejoode at idgara.nl
Thu Nov 16 19:51:33 UTC 2023

​Hi Gus,
Good to see all policies are now available in a central location.
Some remarks:
 * The Social Contract deals mainly with tools and such, however it does not include anything specific about the governance of the Tor Community and how the Tor Project will safeguard users/contributers rights during times of "stress". How are policies changed, who will be able to participate etc it is all missing.
 * The Code of Conduct specifically references Dir-Auth operators, but does not reference the Relay operators, but references "other valued participants". Who are these, and who are these explicitly not? Why are dir-auths listed and relay operators not?
 * Statement of Values: it references Core Contributors, however does not define them.
 * Membership does reference core contributers, so these should either be included or SoV should reference the MP.
 * Membership Policy  does list relay operators as Community Members so do they suddenly fall under the Code of Conduct? users are also part of the (wider) Tor Community, so they are also bound by the CoC?
 * Community Councel, does require "The Community Council needs to represent the breadth of the Tor community to function effectivly", this means gender is part of 'breath', wouldn't it be more logical to ensure the different "sub-communities" (ie dir-auths/relays/network/advocacy etc are represented at the TCC (so a functional 'breath')?
 * The TCC is also limited to 'contributers', as the CC has a say over the Tor Community it would be more logical to widen the pool of potential CC members? (democratise the Tor Project instead of a handful 'in-crowds' making decisions?) Users are/are-not part of the Community (depending on the document you read) having those onboard could give a fresh perspective on the needed direction of the Tor Project, maybe?Food for thought ...

Cheers,
Alex
​-- IDGARA | Alex de Joode | alex at idgara.nl | +31651108221