[tor-project] Nina’s Monthly Status Report: October 2023

Nina nina13 at riseup.net
Thu Nov 2 19:10:49 UTC 2023

Hi! It is time for my October-2023 report!

In October, I resolved 1059 tickets (WOW!):

  * -Telegram (@TorProjectSupportBot) - 505

  * -RT (frontdesk at tpo) - 526

  * -WhatsApp (+447421000612) - 20

  * -Signal (+17787431312) - 8

This month the majority of usersneeded help with:
    1. Russian speaking users to obtainbridges and using them correctly
    2. Tor Browser getting flag by Windows defender and other antivirus
    3. How to use new WebTunnel bridges and where to get them
    4. How to use snowflakeon different Tor powered apps

At the beginning of October, there was an issue with Windows Defender
flaggingTor Browser as a virus[1], whichled to a giant wave of Tor users
asking us how to fix their Tor Browser.

With @ebanam,we had a quarterly user support template review and
updatedseveral templates to reflect changes in the latest Tor Browser
version.

This month, because of the activists' detention in Kazakhstan in an
attempt to prevent unrest on Republic Day (25 October)[2], some users
reached us to express their concerns and get instructions on how to use
the Tor Browser in case of the internet shutdown.Tor Comms team
re-published instructions for users in Kazakhstan on how to download Tor
powered apps.

Other bugs: Tor users reportedanissue with TelegramGetTor Bot
<https://t.me/gettor_bot> that wasn't distributing Tor Browser
Windowsversion.I also submitteda bug with Tor Browser not working for
the users with Windows 7 [3].

[1]
https://forum.torproject.org/t/torbrowser-12-5-6-no-longer-flagged-by-windows-defender/9522
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Day_(Kazakhstan)