[tor-project] Rhatto's Monthly Status Report, June 2023

rhatto rhatto at torproject.org
Mon Jul 3 13:21:43 UTC 2023

Hi all :)

This is my monthly status report for June 2023 with the main activities I
have done during the period.

## 0. Research

### The Onion Plan

* The Onion Plan had an overall documentation restructure:
  * Now it has a better folder scheme.

  * With cleaner and shorter URLs.

  * And the old URLs are still supported through redirects.

  * Check it out at https://tpo.pages.torproject.net/onion-services/onionplan/

* ACME for Onions:
  * The https://acmeforonions.org project was evaluated.

  * Initial assessment is published at
    https://tpo.pages.torproject.net/onion-services/onionplan/appendixes/acme/

  * And a roadmap exercise example is available at
    https://tpo.pages.torproject.net/onion-services/onionplan/roadmaps/certificates/#acme-for-onions-roadmapping

  * Some tests were done and documented:
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionplan/-/issues/21

* Sauteed Onions:
  * There were some progresses related to the https://www.sauteed-onions.org project.

  * A merge request was created to discuss a roadmap proposal:
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionplan/-/merge_requests/6

  * The merge request is linked with a ticket for the overall planning:
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionplan/-/issues/16

  * Another ticket was created, to handle the implementation at Tor Browser:
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/41853

  * And Sauteed Onions is being tested in one of TPO domains:
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onion-support/-/issues/66

* Other updates and improvements:
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionplan/activity

### Quality Assurance for Tor Browser

* Started organizing for the next round of Q&A.

* Went back to some reported issues to research on how they can be addressed.

## 1. Development

### Onionprobe

* I'm collecting feedback on what should go into the next release of Onionprobe,
  an Onion Services testing tool.

* The next milestone is planned for the end of August:
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionprobe/-/milestones/1

* The exact issues to be tackled are yet to be defined.

* There are many issues that can be triaged for this release:
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionprobe/-/issues

* And the release planning is being done in this ticket:
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionprobe/-/issues/79

* Please let me know if you want some specific fixes or features to be included in
  this upcoming release, so we can take them into consideration :)

### 2. Support

* Did the usual sponsored work with deployment, maintenance and monitoring of
  Onion Services (was also done during May 2023, but I forgot to include in the
  previous report).

### 3. Organization

Time spent (from the total available for Tor-related work):

--
Silvio Rhatto
pronouns he/him