[tor-project] Tails report for November 2023

bokonon bokonon at puscii.nl
Wed Dec 13 15:42:16 UTC 2023

Hello :)
*
Tails report for November 2023 <https://tails.net/news/report_2023_11/>*

  Highlights

  *

    We had asked Radically Open Security
    <https://www.radicallyopensecurity.com/> to audit Tails. The results
    of the audit <https://tails.net/news/audit_by_ROS/index.en.html>
    reinforced Tails credentials as a "solid" operating system for
    preserving anonymity.

    We were super proactive with addressing the reported
    vulnerabilities, fixing them all within 3 weeks of being reported.
    This is a reminder that as good as Tails is, it needs to be updated
    regularly!

  *

    We undertook a bunch of home improvement projects for our new
    address <https://tails.net/news/new_domain/index.en.html>. Highlights:

      o the language switcher on the website is more prominent, and also
        in the website footer,
      o warning buttons display warnings better - in a new colour, and
        with wrapped text,
      o our redesigned security page
        <https://tails.net/security/index.en.html> better showcases the
        history of our security advisories.
  *

    We have a new sponsor: igaming.com <https://www.igaming.com/> joined
    our mission! Our donors also received the quarterly newsletter with
    early insights into upcoming Tails features. You, too, could
    subscribe while making your next donation
    <https://tails.net/donate/index.en.html>. Help make our ongoing
    fundraiser <https://tails.net/news/gift_of_privacy/index.en.html> a
    success!

  Releases

November featured 2 new versions of Tails: 5.19.1 and 5.20.

5.19.1 <https://tails.net/news/version_5.19.1/index.en.html> was an
emergency release. We updated the Tor client to bring the fix to the
TROVE-2023-006 vulnerability
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/TROVE>
to Tails users.

And in 5.20 <https://tails.net/news/version_5.20/index.en.html>, we:

  *

    brought the usual, latest updates to Tor Browser and Thunderbird,

  *

    fixed a security vulnerability in uBlock Origin to protect Tails
    users from advanced browser fingerprinting techniques, and

  *

    continued making Persistent Storage more usable, and made it even
    easier to report issues when it doesn't work through improvements to
    WhisperBack.

  Metrics

Tails was started more than 825,741 times this month. That's a daily
average of over 27,520 boots