[tor-project] TPA-RFC-58: Podman CI runner deployment, help needed

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Wed Aug 30 15:15:18 UTC 2023

On 2023-08-29 10:35:42, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2023-08-16 13:32:17, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> Docker, we hope it will improve the stability and our capacity at
>> building images, but I need help testing it.
>
> Reminder: if there are no objections, the podman runner will be online
> for all jobs *tomorrow*.
>
> As an aside, GitLab will soon run it's 100th *thousand* pipeline, so I
> guess it's a good way to celebrate, with a fresh new runner! :)

The podman runner (with the cute name of `ci-runner-x86-02`) is now live
and accepts "untagged" jobs or jobs tagged with one of: kvm, linux,
debug-terminal, x86_64, x86-64, 16 CPU, 94.30 GiB, amd64, podman, tpa.

Please do notify us if any (unusual) problem occurs. We'll also be
monitoring this through the Grafana dashboard:

https://grafana.torproject.org/d/fd0b2fb2-88d0-4f85-bc86-16164c083b51/gitlab-ci-overview

user: tor-guest, no password

Also, according to that dashboard, we're grossly over capacity now,
which means either two things:

 1. we need to retire a runner
 2. YOU need to RUN MORE CI! :)

I tend towards the latter...

Also remember that you can bring your own runners, any computer can be
repurposed into a GitLab runner to pick up your more exotic jobs in all
ways imaginable. See our instructions for that at:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/wikis/service/ci#registering-your-own-runner

Have a good day and thanks for flying TPA!

A.

--
Antoine Beaupré
torproject.org system administration