[tor-project] eRPC - An Efficient Relay Partition Checker (GSoC Final Report)

Rishad Baniya rbdroid01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 09:24:36 UTC 2023

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well :)

I started working on eRPC <https://gitlab.torproject.org/rishadbaniya/erpc>
few weeks back as part of GSoC and since I've started this project, new
doors of knowledge have opened every single day for me. I never thought the
abstractions on which the tor browser runs would be this fun to peel
through "arti". I've had days where I spent my entire day just trying to
understand how different tor spec files were implemented in "arti", it was
a fun journey that I still want to continue.

The problem this project(*eRPC) *aims to solve is, a tool for checking
partition among relays(by attempting to create all possible two hop
circuits) and using the circuits that were built by OnionPerf running
hosts(they release OnionPerf analysis file). Currently *eRPC* handles the
basic fundamentals i.e creating two hop circuits, taking OnionPerf analysis
file as input and adds extra feature on top of it, such as distributing
among different host machines using gRPC, pause and resume the state of the
application, saving data to relational database sqlite or/and graph
database neo4j. This data then can be used to visualize the partition
within the Tor Network. You can view more about the project at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/rishadbaniya/erpc

I've attached a report regarding the current state and future plans of this
project, you can find the most details regarding the project at the WiKi of
the repository.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone at the Tor community for being
extremely helpful every time and guiding me through the entire journey,
especially to my mentors "GeKo" and "juga".

With regards,
Rishad Baniya