[tor-project] Monthly Status Report for irl

Iain R. Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Tue Jul 6 20:11:20 UTC 2021

Hi All,

This is my monthly status report for work complete during June 2021.

This month saw the releases of metrics-lib 2.17.0 and Onionoo 8.0-1.26.1. The new Onionoo release includes a number of fixes that me and Karsten had previously been working on related to reliability, and now also uses the IP Fire database that is used by core Tor. This means that the GeoIP information on Relay Search is also now based on the IP Fire database.

Work has begun on importing bridge reachability testing into the Tor Metrics pipeline to improve the UX situation for bridge operators regarding knowing if their bridge is online or not. Since this work has been delayed, it is now expected to be completed by August 31st.

Support for parsing bridgestrap metrics has been merged to the development branch of metrics-lib although this has not yet been included in a release. I'm expecting that will happen early this month.

Finally, I have been around in Matrix/IRC to answer Metrics questions and on occasion to provide a little end-user support in #tor. I've been attending the weekly network health meetings and will continue to do so. If you've got any questions about anything I'm working on, just send me an email or chat on Matrix/IRC.

Thanks,
Iain.