[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 24 February and 4 March

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Mon Mar 9 15:55:33 UTC 2020

Hello folks,

The meeting we had last Wednesday on the 4th of March had so few participants
that we went over the weekly items we always have, but postponed discussions
until more members of the team could be present.

Logs from the meeting the 4th of March:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-03-04-22.59.html

Meeting notes from the meeting on the 24th of February:

1) We started out with roadmap.

2) We had discussions on reviews and in particular how to do reviews of TROVE
   security issues.

3) We went over our 0.4.3 status page.

4) We discussed how to do the integration with Shadow in Tor.

5) Swati joined our meeting to say bye after she finished her work as a Google
   Season of Docs student. Swati have done some excellent work on re-structuring
   our Unix man pages and worked close together with Taylor on this.

6) Nobody had anything else for this meeting and the meeting was ended.

--- end of summary ---

You can read the network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-24-17.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

Nick:
    Week of 17 Feb (planned):
        - Lots of code review
        - Continue bug retrospective?
        - Work on relay/dirauth modularization stuff
        - Any C style work to do?
    Week of 17 Feb (actual):
        - Worked on lots of patches to make more relay code disabled when --disable-relay-mode
        - lots of review and merge
        - continued bug retrospective
        - review and merge
        - far too many meetings
        - Revised pending patches
    Week of 24 Feb (planned):
        - Review and merge
        - Try to advance TROVE-2020-00{1,2,3}
        - Prepare for March
        - Write policy proposals for adopting current acting policies, and adding a "critical" scurity level
        - C style work as possible
        - Try to finish bug retrospective?
        - Try to work on smaller code-cleanup patches and any pending 043 issues
        - Try to do a personal roadmap for next 3-4 months

catalyst:

    week of 02/17 (2020-W08) (planned):
        - TPI holiday 02/17
        - reviews
        - more gsod stuff as needed
        - writing feedback
        - create follow up ticket(s) for stuff out of scope for #32921
        - dig a bit more into #32622
    week of 02/17 (2020-W08) (actual):
        - TPI holiday 02/17
        - more gsod review (#33275)
        - gsod: reviewed TOC and cross-ref linking (#33369)
        - more review of #32921
    week of 02/24 (2020-W09) (planned):
        - reviews
        - gsod wrap up (final reports, etc)
        - writing feedback

ahf:
    Week of 17/2 2020 (planned)
        - Write email about a discussion I had with Peter Stuge and Linus at FOSDEM.
        - Hack on 0.4.3 tickets.
        - If the new GL instance comes up before Friday, try to do a run of ticket migrations to it to see if things are better. Write email to tor-project@ with an update.
        - Look into crash issue in #32729
    Week of 17/2 2020 (actually)
        - Many meetings and post-meeting conversations/TODO list items.
        - Tried to reproduce #32340 (I think we have had this ticket on all platforms now at some point)
        - Hiro said GL instance is progressing. Worked on Trac Wiki to Markdown to GL wiki migration.
        - Didn't get around to write Linus/Peter email.
    Week of 24/2 2020 (planned)
        - Get minimal test case working for TROVE issue.
        - Do patch for #32165.
        - Maybe write that Linus/Peter email :-)
        - Figure out what is up and down with the Outreachy project(s).

asn:
   Week of 17/02 (planned):
   - Get back to OBv3.
   - Get #32709 merged.
   Week of 17/02 (actual):
   - Got #32709 merged!
   - Started working on OBv3 documentation.
   Week of 24/02 (planned):
   - Merge first round of OBv3 documentation.
   - Finish OBv3 integration with travis/readthedocs/etc.
   - Reviews.

dgoulet:
  Week of Feb 17th (actual):
    - Reviews and merges.
    - Patch for #33361
    - Requested testing on longclaw/moria for #33029. We got it merged
      finally. We can move on to #33072.
    - Tracing branch #32910 discussed with nickm. Experimented with various
      possible fixes to nickm's comment.
    - Spent a considerable amount of time analyzing Freenode tor's onion
      service log to understand why the service stopped publishing its
      descriptors. So I revived an old patch from #24346 and made it to
      #33400.
    - Confirming that #32672 will affect bridges.
    - Paper revisions with Rob for our NetDev 0x14 submissions. Worked on the
      slide outline as well.
  Week of Feb 24th (planned):
    - Work on #33072, #33400 (if need be)
    - Revised #32910 (tracing branch from nickm's feedback).
    - Do a little bit of slides for NetDev.
    - Feedback writing.
    - Need to think about the next things I'll work on for the next months.

Gaba:
    Last week (actual):
    - reduce scalabiltiy project to fit new requirements
   Week of February 24th (planned)
     - scalabiltiy project risks
     - run behind trac
     - s55 follow up

teor: (online first meeting of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

   Week of 10 February (planned):
       Important:
           - Write Draft of Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - Revise Proposal 313 based on reviews
           - respond to emails and IRC
       Roadmap:
           - open Sponsor 55 tickets for required work
               - based on proposals
               - with updated estimates
           - make existing tickets children of Sponsor 55 parent tickets
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors

   Week of 10 February (actual):
       Important:
           - Write Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - Revise Proposal 313 based on reviews
           - Merge Proposal 313
           - Create Sponsor 55 tickets, doing estimates, and writing a rough implementation order
           - respond to emails
       Roadmap:
           - made some existing tickets children of Sponsor 55 parent tickets
           - found a relay bandwidth stats bug that affects our bandwidth and connection stats (#33201), so I guess it's Sponsor 55.
               - Turns out it's not a bug, it's a misleading comment.
           - test IPv6 in CI (#33195 and children)
           - fix protocol version sorting issue (#33285)
           - help tom with info about IPv6 relays for consensus health (#33266)
           - Start designing chutney reachability tests (#33232)
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews, merges
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors
           - Help with manual page rewrite (#33188)
           - Help with git scripts (#32121, #33284)
           - Help with 0.4.3 logging fix (#33087)

   Week of 17 February (planned):
       Important:
       Roadmap:
           - chutney relay IP4 reachability self-tests (#33232)
               - Add an ipv6 mixed network to chutney and tor
           - #32588 Setting ORPort [ipv6]:auto mistakenly advertises port 94
           - Maybe #33220 Prop 311: 3. Allow Relay IPv6 Extends
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews and ticket help
           - Back to normal code reviews (thanks everyone for letting me focus on Sponsor 55 proposals!)
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors

   Week of 17 February (actual):
       Important:
           - tor-relays moderation
           - list moderation was taking a lot of time, and I need to focus on Sponsor 55,
             so I'm stepping away from list moderation for a while
       Roadmap:
           - Make consensus voting more resistant to late votes (#4631)
           - chutney relay IP4 reachability self-tests (#33232)
               - Add an ipv6 mixed network to chutney and tor (#33334)
               - Update the default chutney networks for new tor features (#33376)
               - Use chutney's diagnostics in Tor's CI (#33353, #32792)
               - Require all nodes to bootstrap (#33378)
               - Working on: Require all relays in the consensus
               - Next up is: Remove AssumeReachable 1 from relays
           - chutney and tor changes to improve chutney tests
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews and ticket help
           - Back to normal code reviews (thanks everyone for letting me focus on Sponsor 55 proposals!)
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors
           - Some quick bug fixes

Mike:
    week of 19 Feb (planned):
        - Investigate/reproduce circpad shutdown bugs (#30992 and chutney warns); plan some fixes
        - Mull over Research Janitor responsibilities and priorites
        - Maybe review metrics-team tickets
    week of 19 Feb (actual):
        - Still discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
    week of 24 Feb (planned):
        - Cashing in some banked overtime dayz (Monday+Tuesday)
        - Probably keep discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
        - Metrics-team flashflow experiment+sbws review
        - circpad bugs I hope? Coin toss for that vs metrics-team review
          (though the metrics work is pretty cold now anyway... maybe it can wait some more)

jnewsome:
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (actual):
        - Onboarding logistics
        - Fleshed out Shadow sponsor page a bit https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor38
        - Fixed some Shadow compiler warnings and bugs (https://github.com/shadow/shadow/issues/711 and related issues)
    week of 02/10 (2020-W07) (planned):
        - Enable -Werror in Shadow, suppressing existing warnings if necessary (https://github.com/shadow/shadow/issues/711)
        - Add clang compile to CI
        - Fix remaining tests that listen on hard-coded ports (https://github.com/shadow/shadow/issues/718)
        - Start planning Shadow TCP redesign
    week of 02/10 (2020-W07) (actual):
        - Fixed some additional warnings in Shadow, but haven't enabled -Werror yet. Now planning to only enable it in CI
        - Investigated possibility of running Shadow CI inside Docker containers. Ran into issues with elfloader. Deferring for now since elfloader is planned to go away.
        - Created Github CI action for shadow-plugin-tor (shadow-plugin-tor at head against with fixed versions of shadow and tgen)
    week of 02/17 (2020-W08) (planned):
        - Extract shadow-plugin-tor CI core logic into a shell script
        - Set up shadow repository to also run the shadow-plugin-tor CI (shadow at head against fixed versions of shadow-plugin-tor and tgen)
        - Suppress remaining compiler warnings in Shadow and enable -Werror in CI
        - Start looking at TCP module and planning refactor/redesign
    week of 02/17 (2020-W08) (actual):
        - TPI holiday on Monday; vacation on Friday
        - Extracted shadow-plugin-tor CI core logic into a shell script https://github.com/shadow/shadow-plugin-tor/pull/86
        - Fixed remaining compiler warnings in Shadow (https://github.com/shadow/shadow/pull/725) and enabled -Werror in CI (https://github.com/shadow/shadow/pull/726)
        - Started looking at TCP module and planning refactor/redesign, with an eye towards migrating it to Rust
    week of 02/24 (2020-W08) (planned):
        - Enable running the shadow-plugin-tor CI from the shadow repo (should be trivial after last week's refactor)
        - Continue looking at TCP module and planning refactor/redesign, with an eye towards migrating it to Rust
        - Phantom kickoff meeting this week (migrating Shadow to process-per-simulated-host)
        - Create a tor trac ticket for "build for shadow", capturing the requirements

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy