[tor-project] March 2018 report for the metrics team

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Apr 5 18:37:01 UTC 2018

Hello Tor, hello world!

Below you'll find the highlights of Tor metrics team work done in March
2018.

On behalf of the Tor metrics team,
Karsten

Wrote a first draft document containing approximately 2500 words with a
graph specification of the relay users graph [1] and sent it Tor folks
outside of the metrics team for an initial review. The relay users graph
is our most popular graph and also one of the most complex ones. We'll
be able to re-use parts of this specification, or link to it, from other
graph specifications. All in all, we'll produce approximately 10 times
as much text for all graphs and tables.

 [1] https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html

Discussed [2] which Java frameworks to include in the white paper about
CollecTor's data processing.

 [2] https://bugs.torproject.org/25644

Started providing metrics timeline events as Atom feed [3, 4].

 [3] https://metrics.torproject.org/news.atom
 [4] https://bugs.torproject.org/23854

Added more explanations to the website why metrics are important and
what we do to make sure they're safe [5].

 [5] https://metrics.torproject.org/about.html

Released Onionoo protocol version 5.1 [6] which always adds a relay's
own fingerprint to its "effective_family" and makes nickname fields "n"
in summary documents and "nickname" in details documents required fields.

 [6] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-March/013012.html

Set up CollecTor's webstats module to sanitize web server logs [7] and
modified metrics-web to process these logs [8] instead of the ones
available on webstats.tp.o [9].

 [7] https://metrics.torproject.org/collector.html#webstats
 [8] https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb.html
 [9] https://webstats.torproject.org/