[tor-project] Security slider usability testing results

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Thu Mar 9 22:57:54 UTC 2017

Hi all:

The results of the security slider usability testing is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wr4e9OftQaIyvU-p2pN9JcdLsOAl9Z87hg4XWW8O4uk/edit?usp=sharing

In short, users seemed to choose the setting that would be right for
them, functionality wise, even if they didn’t have good security
understanding or mild misconceptions. UI should account for multiple
ways of interaction.

Some people said interesting things. Highlights include:
-(the "safest" setting has bad connotations) P12: “I’m not sure, I don’t
think I’ll be doing anything that would require that amount of safety.
*giggles*”
-(people making emotional decisions)P13: “I would probably choose the
“safe” setting, there's the potential for more content being blocked on
the safest setting, and I'm the kind of dum-dum who's willing to take my
chances.”
-(not understanding on-the-wire vs machine security defenses) P14: “I
would choose the standard setting- I’m just going off of the experience
I’ve had on the website I currently visit. I have Norton and feel like
that keeps my computer pretty safe.”

Cheers,
Linda

P.S.:  I've been working on a more understandable security slider for a
couple months now; documentation here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UX/OrfoxSecuritySlider

--
Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2