[tor-project] Increasing number of nodes and worrying about going past 6%

John Ricketts john at quintex.com
Thu Mar 2 23:23:53 UTC 2017

All,

Long time no see since Seattle, it was a pleasure to meet those that were there!

Ok, so I opened a second data center with Hurricane Electric and I just got a second peering feed from Level3 at that facility so I would have a full IPv6 table.  Getting 10GE from HE and 1GE from Level 3.

I'm going to add IPv6 to all of my current 30 nodes.  I'm pushing approximately 2% of exit probability and growing.  I intend to add another 30 nodes in the next two months, and add yet another datacenter in Dallas, TX.

My target  6% will all coming from the same AS 62744, I have two /24 and a /22.

If I reach 6% of global exit probability should I stop?  I know we had those discussions with the others at the meeting in Seattle but I want to make sure my ability to get 6% or more will not hurt the integrity of Tor.  Some told me to build it and some had some hesitation.

Also, I am going to re-offer my facilities for experimental DirAuths or any other stuff that you all want to test.

I'd like your advice and thoughts on my plans.  I want to become the largest exit operator in North America without becoming a risk to Tor or others using it.

Sincerely,

John L. Ricketts, PhD

Quintex Alliance Consulting

(325) 262-3488