[tor-project] Tor Lecture at ANU

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 05:32:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 09:47:26AM +1100, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been invited to give a lecture about Tor to a Computer Networks class at The Australian National University (ANU).
> It's a class I took more than a decade ago, and I've kept in touch with the lecturer.
>
> This is the first time I've given a lecture on Tor.
> I've been asked to speak about Tor in general, browser fingerprinting, and single onion services.
>
> I was thinking of using some of the images from:
> https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en#thesolution <https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en#thesolution>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en <https://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en>
>
> I'm scheduled for next Thursday Australian time (which is Wednesday UTC / US time).
>
> Does anyone have any tips for giving a talk on Tor, or any other diagrams that would be useful for slides?

Hey Tim,

This sounds great! When I give presentations I usually use those images and
the EFF's Internet/HTTPS/Tor page[0]. If you are specifically talking about
browser fingerprinting, you might want to demonstrate panopticlick[1]
(although I've previouslly seen some weird results from this). Single Onion
Services are obviously new territory, so this may be a good opportunity for
creating some nice images that others can reuse.

Speaking of others, you may want to mention this on the Tor Teachers list[2].
It's still a bit new, but it's a good place for discussing this. There are
some other resources on the wiki[3], too.

I think that's all I have right now.

- Matt

[0] https://www.eff.org/pages/tor-and-https
[1] https://panopticlick.eff.org/