[tor-project] Notes from April 21 2016 Vegas team meeting

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Apr 27 07:10:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 09:24:24AM -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:50:41AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> > 4) Making a donate@ alias for humans, so donations@ can be for
> > machines? Answer: Shari thinks that would be so incredibly awesome!
>
> Can you clarify?  Machines make donations?  Donations of machines?
> Machines receive the email to that address?

Currently donations@ gets (what feels like) hundreds of mails a day in
the form of automated paypal emails, letting us know about donations,
letting us know about other paypal stuff, etc.

At the same time, we tell people on the contact page that they can reach
us at this address if they want to chat about how to donate things to us.

Because of the volume of automated stuff, it has turned out to not be an
accurate statement that people can reach us at donations at .

So the idea is to make a separate address which is hopefully lower volume
and which hopefully people can pay more attention to.

(In an ideal world we have a person or people who keep track of all the
donation related emails, and send happy responses to all the donors,
and there's no need for a separate list. We don't live in that ideal
world yet.)

Hope that helps explain,
--Roger