[tor-onions] Garbage collection of abandoned onion servers

p13dz p13dz p13dz at prb.team
Sun Dec 25 19:14:41 UTC 2022

Hello,
We've built a solution to scale our onion server horizontally using
Kubernetes horizontal autoscaler. It's basically an onionbalance & a set of
wrappers to regenerate its config file depending on the set of running
TorHiddenService instances.
Each time we scale the set of servers up, we start new Tor onion servers on
random addresses (that's what onionbalance expects), and their descriptors
are then merged into the single one by onionbalance. When we delete old
instances, their onion addresses are abandoned.
We want to be good citizens and not to clutter Tor's DHT with abandoned
records. My question basically is whether the Tor ecosystem automatically
deletes abandoned descriptors or not. If yes, we can keep our system
simpler. If not, we'll have to make the system stateful and try to reuse
our existing onions as much as possible.
Thanks.