[tor-dev] Agnostic Tools: Code Dev and Support For

nullius nullius at nym.zone
Thu Jan 11 20:00:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-11 18:36:21 at +0000, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>Philosophical...
>
>Why does someone want to support and develop for Tor, or any other
>overlay p2p anonymity network, or crypto, for that matter? When even a
>fix to the manpage could be read and used by onion users and operators,
>same for metrics, lists, or any other part of the ecosystem. Does one
>fear "bad" things, association, or support "good" things?

I immediately observed that “Beastr0” posted via a Protonmail address.
Whereas Protonmail supports .onion, and has its own .onion:

https://protonirockerxow.onion/

https://protonmail.com/tor

https://protonmail.com/blog/tor-encrypted-email/

https://protonmail.com/blog/protonmail-tor-censorship/

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/tor-setup/

Why does an individual who does not support .onion use a service which
promotes its own .onion?

>Philosophical...

Tor supports the *right to read*.

Imagine that you were in the biggest library in the world—but a
librarian (or security camera) watched over your shoulder to observe and
record everything you read.  You’d find that you self-censor your
selections.  You would avoid anything too controversial—even if it were
something you wanted to read so that you could write an argument against
it!  You would only read things you guess were acceptable to those
watching you.  Adapt “Beastr0’s” statement, “I would prefer to not have
my real name attached” (to this controversial book).

**That is the Web without Tor.**  Tor shields readers from the
shoulder-surfing librarian, the eye-tracking security cameras which
observe each *word* you read, the third-party analytics trackers and
“social media” buttons...

Tor also supports the *right to write*.

The ability to read without being tracked must be matched by the ability
to publish anonymously, or pseudonymously.  The right of anonymous
publication is the cornerstone of the freedom of speech.  .onion
protects that right.

/*
 * .onion also has many additional uses; for but a few examples:
 *
 * 0. Taking load off exit nodes; e.g. if you run Debian, switch your
 * `apt` updates to download from the repositories listed at
 * https://onion.debian.org/ A/K/A http://5nca3wxl33tzlzj5.onion/ .
 * See also https://onion.torproject.org/
 * A/K/A http://yz7lpwfhhzcdyc5y.onion/ .
 *
 * 1. Enabling Bitcoin nodes to accept incoming connections without
 * exposing their IP addresses.
 *
 * 2. Enabling communications tools such as Ricochet.
 *
 * 3. [...add your own here...]
 */

>Pens... write code.

Code is speech.  I observe that just as many fine .onion operators,
“Beastr0” desires to exercise the right to publish free speech under a
pseudonym:

On 2018-01-10 00:38:47 at +0000, Beastr0 <beastr0 at protonmail.com> wrote:
>For the time being I would prefer to not have my real name attached to
>Tor so I hope you don't mind if I introduce myself as Beastro.
>
>I love Tor and its mission.

I hope that “Beastr0” will reconsider his/her/its pseudonymously
expressed opposition to .onion.

/*
 * Cf. my current .sig motto, a matter of conceptual juxtaposition in
 * popular propaganda as observed by yours truly.  I am innocent.
 * Aren’t “bad guys” the ones who should be tapped, tracked, and
 * searched?  How does anybody dare suggest that I should submit to
 * surveillance *because* I am innocent, i.e. “have nothing to hide”?
 *
 * “‘If you’re not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide.’
 *
 * “No!  Because I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to show.”
 *
 *				— nullius at nym.zone
 */

#endif /* !_ON_TOPIC_FOR_DEV_LIST_ */

--
nullius at nym.zone | PGP ECC: 0xC2E91CD74A4C57A105F6C21B5A00591B2F307E0C
Bitcoin: bc1qcash96s5jqppzsp8hy8swkggf7f6agex98an7h | (Segwit nested: