[tor-dev] Questions pertaining to client to directory authority communications

Jon Smithe jonmsmithe at gmail.com
Sun May 19 18:40:13 UTC 2013

Hello!

I have been reading through the various tor specifications trying to
understand how this all works, so please forgive any ignorance of the
protocol on my part. There seems to be a fair amount of gaps about
specifically how various communications take place; for instance if we
consider the very beginning of the communication chain, Directory
Authorities, we have the dir-spec.txt file which outlines rather well what
type of information can be retrieved from the directories, but not what
communication protocol is actually being used.

It appears that the usage of HTTP is fairly inherent, but this seems like
it is only a partial answer as only some of the trusted authorities seem to
speak HTTP on the address & port combination compiled into tor, moreover at
least some of the authorities do not appear to implement the specification
entirely. For instance, the trusted authority at MIT, 'morial' is listening
on port 9131, however attempting to retrieve the network status document
from it via a GET request to /tor/status/all.z results in no output at all.
I would assume if this was a matter of needing to connect via SSL that I
would receive an error due to a bad handshake, but I get nothing back. This
holds true for at least one of the other trusted authorities listening on a
non-HTTP related port (turtles). So for those servers, exactly what
protocol is being used and is it documented anywhere other than the source
code?

Then, for instance, if we connect to 'tor26', which does respond to HTTP
requests and attempt to retrieve a v2 network status document via the
/tor/status/all.z URI, we receive a 404 although it appears the document
that should exist there exists on other URIs, it's not entirely clear if
this is just outdated code, specific to particular versions of the protocol
(tor26 does have the no-v2 flag set which might be the issue?) or what
exactly.

So the question is, are there accurate specifications anywhere that focus
not only on the semantics of cryptography and rationale behind certain
choices but also the specifics of how exactly the protocol works or am I
'stuck' with reading the source code? I suspect that it is the later, so my
question would be is there anyplace where the control flow is somewhat
documented? (As the flow is somewhat disjointed at least in part to the way
libevent works and other such aspects that make it difficult to parse if
you're not familiar already with how everything is interconnected).

I have other questions about aspects of the protocol, but I will  mostly
save those until I understand the basic blocks of it better. But to
exemplify somewhat, it does seem that the introduction of guard nodes would
cause an inverse of desired effect; there appears to be about 1000-1100
guard nodes versus a several thousand relays, and about 800-900 exit nodes
so it would seem that mitigating the attack where an attacker controlled C
number of nodes is essentially pointless as one would only need to control
a set number of guard and exit nodes and can more or less ignore the relays
in between, so whereas you needed say C/N nodes previously, one would only
need Cg/Ng (Cg controlled guards / Ng Number of guards). If we then factor
in that it seems possible that a guard or relay can essentially indirectly
control the route a circuit takes through the network by continually
causing cell extensions to fail for all relays and exit nodes that they do
not control, then the value for Cg would seem to not need to be overly
large or at least not approach the values of C or Cg (C/N or Cg/Ng).

This seems incredibly reasonable for attackers that have state level
resources (What is 1,000 computers to China? Iran? ...the United
States?) and because the algorithm for selecting guards appears to be based
entirely on stability and bandwidth; metrics we can expect a government to
have plenty of on hand. I understand that rotation is supposed to ease this
somewhat, but at least according to the academic paper out of Waterloo that
Roger co-authored, it would appear that this actually facilitates the
compromise of more clients than eases the problem, with the most secure (in
the lab) situation being a single guard. (I understand that in practice
this will not be realistic as it creates a bottle-neck in a variety of
ways, e.g. firewalls and DDoS).

I suspect many of the questions I have will be answered as I better
familiarize myself with the protocol, so of the few I've enumerated,  they
can be thought of exemplifications that I expect will hash themselves out
as I progress through the source and specifications.

Thanks a lot!

Jon