[tor-dev] OnionOO protocol questions

Norman Danner ndanner at wesleyan.edu
Fri Aug 3 19:42:03 UTC 2012

Hi Karsten,

On 8/3/12 3:33 PM, Karsten Loesing wrote:

> At the moment, clients can only request ordering by consensus weight,
> because that's the first and only thing we needed so far.  In the
> future, clients should be able to order by nickname, fingerprint,
> address and maybe even the running bit.  Related to the first answer,
> clients wouldn't request ordering by the "n" field, but by the
> "nickname", regardless of the document they request.  Details documents
> probably give a better idea of which fields could be used for ordering.
>
> Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it does, though now I have a couple more questions.

If I understand the weights documents correctly, there is no one
consensus weight for a given router.  What exactly is the ordering we
should use when the request asks to order by consensus weight?

It seems like determining the consensus weights of the selected relays
could be a relatively slow process, because at least with the
filesystem-backed approach we are using right now, each individual
weights file has to be opened and read.  Is this correct, or am I
missing something here?

	- Norman

--
Norman Danner - ndanner at wesleyan.edu - http://ndanner.web.wesleyan.edu
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - Wesleyan University