[tor-announce] [RELEASE] Tor stable 0.4.7.15 and 0.4.8.6

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Sep 18 15:11:46 UTC 2023

Greetings,

We just released two new stables that is 0.4.7.15 and 0.4.8.6 containing an
important fix for onion services affecting congestion control.

Here is the announcement:
https://forum.torproject.org/t/stable-release-0-4-7-15-and-0-4-8-6/9292

Below the ChangeLog for both releases.

Cheers!

Changes in version 0.4.7.15 - 2023-09-18
  This version contains an important fix for onion service regarding congestion
  control and its reliability. Apart from that, very minor bugfixes. We
  strongly recommend all onion service operators to update immediately.

  o Major bugfixes (onion service):
    - Fix a reliability issue where services were expiring their
      introduction points every consensus update. This caused
      connectivity issues for clients caching the old descriptor and
      intro points. Bug reported and fixed by gitlab user
      @hyunsoo.kim676. Fixes bug 40858; bugfix on 0.4.7.5-alpha.

  o Minor features (fallbackdir):
    - Regenerate fallback directories generated on September 18, 2023.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2023/09/18.

  o Minor features (testing):
    - Enable Doxygen and Stem tests for 0.4.8 and clean-up some logic
      for handling versions of Tor that are no longer supported. Closes
      ticket 40859.

  o Minor bugfixes (compression):
    - Right after compression/decompression work is done, check for
      errors. Before this, we would consider compression bomb before
      that and then looking for errors leading to false positive on that
      log warning. Fixes bug 40739; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha. Patch
      by "cypherpunks".

  o Minor bugfixes (compression, zstd):
    - Use less frightening language and lower the log-level of our run-
      time ABI compatibility check message in our Zstd compression
      subsystem. Fixes bug 40815; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.

Changes in version 0.4.8.6 - 2023-09-18
  This version contains an important fix for onion service regarding congestion
  control and its reliability. Apart from that, uneeded BUG warnings have been
  suppressed especially about a compression bomb seen on relays. We strongly
  recommend, in particular onion service operators, to upgrade as soon as
  possible to this latest stable.

  o Major bugfixes (onion service):
    - Fix a reliability issue where services were expiring their
      introduction points every consensus update. This caused
      connectivity issues for clients caching the old descriptor and
      intro points. Bug reported and fixed by gitlab user
      @hyunsoo.kim676. Fixes bug 40858; bugfix on 0.4.7.5-alpha.

  o Minor features (debugging, compression):
    - Log the input and output buffer sizes when we detect a potential
      compression bomb. Diagnostic for ticket 40739.

  o Minor features (fallbackdir):
    - Regenerate fallback directories generated on September 18, 2023.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2023/09/18.

  o Minor bugfix (defensive programming):
    - Disable multiple BUG warnings of a missing relay identity key when
      starting an instance of Tor compiled without relay support. Fixes
      bug 40848; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (bridge authority):
    - When reporting a pseudo-networkstatus as a bridge authority, or
      answering "ns/purpose/*" controller requests, include accurate
      published-on dates from our list of router descriptors. Fixes bug
      40855; bugfix on 0.4.8.1-alpha.

--
F+IRkBdyPvUEHZV3ctcJ/vEeoQpBTIsT3aVD9KfRtfo=