[tor-announce] [RELEASE] Tor 0.4.8.2-alpha

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Wed Jul 12 14:17:43 UTC 2023

Greetings,

We just released the second alpha of the 0.4.8.x series. Here is the
announcement and below the ChangeLog.

https://forum.torproject.org/t/alpha-release-0-4-8-2-alpha/8353

Cheers!
David

Changes in version 0.4.8.2-alpha - 2023-07-12
  This is our second alpha containing some minor bugfixes and one major bugfix
  about L2 vanguard rotation. We believe this will be the last alpha before the
  rc in a couple of weeks.

  o Major bugfixes (vanguards):
    - Rotate to a new L2 vanguard whenever an existing one loses the
      Stable or Fast flag. Previously, we would leave these relays in
      the L2 vanguard list but never use them, and if all of our
      vanguards end up like this we wouldn't have any middle nodes left
      to choose from so we would fail to make onion-related circuits.
      Fixes bug 40805; bugfix on 0.4.7.1-alpha.

  o Minor feature (hs):
    - Fix compiler warnings in equix and hashx when building with clang.
      Closes ticket 40800.

  o Minor features (fallbackdir):
    - Regenerate fallback directories generated on July 12, 2023.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2023/07/12.

  o Minor bugfix (congestion control):
    - Reduce the accepted range of a circuit's negotiated 'cc_sendme_inc'
      to be +/- 1 from the consensus parameter value. Fixes bug 40569;
      bugfix on 0.4.7.4-alpha.
    - Remove unused congestion control algorithms and BDP calculation
      code, now that we have settled on and fully tuned Vegas. Fixes bug
      40566; bugfix on 0.4.7.4-alpha.
    - Update default congestion control parameters to match consensus.
      Fixes bug 40709; bugfix on 0.4.7.4-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
    - Fix "initializer is not a constant" compilation error that
      manifests itself on gcc versions < 8.1 and MSVC. Fixes bug 40773;
      bugfix on 0.4.8.1-alpha

  o Minor bugfixes (conflux):
    - Count leg launch attempts prior to attempting to launch them. This
      avoids inifinite launch attempts due to internal circuit building
      failures. Additionally, double-check that we have enough exits in
      our consensus overall, before attempting to launch conflux sets.
      Fixes bug 40811; bugfix on 0.4.8.1-alpha.
    - Fix a case where we were resuming reading on edge connections that
      were already marked for close. Fixes bug 40801; bugfix
      on 0.4.8.1-alpha.
    - Fix stream attachment order when creating conflux circuits, so
      that stream attachment happens after finishing the full link
      handshake, rather than upon set finalization. Fixes bug 40801;
      bugfix on 0.4.8.1-alpha.
    - Handle legs being closed or destroyed before computing an RTT
      (resulting in warns about too many legs). Fixes bug 40810; bugfix
      on 0.4.8.1-alpha.
    - Remove a "BUG" warning from conflux_pick_first_leg that can be
      triggered by broken or malicious clients. Fixes bug 40801; bugfix
      on 0.4.8.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (KIST):
    - Prevent KISTSchedRunInterval from having values of 0 or 1, neither
      of which work properly. Additionally, make a separate
      KISTSchedRunIntervalClient parameter, so that the client and relay
      KIST values can be set separately. Set the default of both to 2ms.
      Fixes bug 40808; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha.

--
SCCJSq3++gLvtcViLCnYL3xswoYt5w4BmK/HeCEDeks=