[tbb-dev] Proposal for redesigning the security controls

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 01:33:05 UTC 2018

Thanks for sharing this proposal, Georg. I think it's a really good
approach for simplifying the UI. I definitely agree it would be good
to hide the NoScript toolbar button, and of course we would need to
re-surface some of its functionality so it's easier to understand. I
want to mention a couple of issues I think we discussed in Montreal
but I think might be useful in the discussion here.

1. A current problem we have with NoScript is that it does not respect
first-party isolation (FPI), which is both a security and privacy
issue. For example, if I set the Security Settings to Medium, and
visit youtube.com, and click on the NoScript button to unblock media
from YouTube.com, then embedded YouTube videos are now unblocked on
all other websites. The same goes for more subtle things like Google
Analytics scripts. So I'd propose we try to get FPI working for
NoScript unblocking, similar to our enforcement of FPI for Permissions
from #21569. That's especially important if we emphasize that controls
in the URL bar or the Permissions door-hanger are intended for
per-site use.

2. The Security Slider is also quite dangerous if used for per-site
purposes. If a user decides they want to visit A.com at "Low" Security
and B.com at "High" Security, they have to be very careful not to
accidentally expose B.com to "Low" Security. A simple click of the
back button could result in a mistake. Or, if the user has multiple
tabs or windows open, and they switch the Security Slider, because of
the current tab, they apply the new security setting to all open tabs,
which could result in accidental unwanted exposure to dangerous
content in background tabs.

Therefore, I'm wondering if putting the Security Slider on the toolbar
might actually increase the danger for some users by encouraging its
frequent use. A possibly safer approach could be to display the global
Security Slider either embedded in the about:tor page, or in a prompt
at startup. That way we can force users to make a one-time decision
for the global setting and discourage them from changing it repeatedly
while they browse.

Yet another approach could be to invoke "New Identity" whenever
Security Settings are changed, such that all tabs are closed and a new
empty window is opened before the new global setting takes effect. (Of
course users would need to be warned and given the option to cancel.)

3. I don't think it's feasible to make scripts, Fonts, MathML, some
audio, etc., click-to-play. And while it's true that video, SVG and
WebGL can be click-to-play, in practice it may be challenging to make
the click-to-play behavior work smoothly given the interactions with
scripts. So one issue we'll have to consider is how many different
per-site options we expose to users in the Permissions doorhanger. I
think it would be confusing to ask users to decide which content
features (scripts vs. fonts vs videos vs ...) are safe to enable;
rather, they should be answering the question: do I consider this
website to be dangerous or not? So, my suggestion would be to expose a
single toggle option: namely, [all-features-disabled |
all-features-enabled].