[tbb-dev] sandboxed-tor-browser and TBB 7.5a5.

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Fri Sep 29 06:58:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 06:01:00 +0000
Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:

> Roger Dingledine:
> > On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 04:59:46AM +0000, Yawning Angel wrote:
> >> Don't know.  Depends on if people expect the alpha channel to be
> >> usable or not.
>
> Well, I think assuming issues is okay but we should not leave it
> broken. Yawning, could you tag a new release? Then we can build a new
> sandboxed-tor-browser and put that out. Just falling back to an older
> version won't help.

Done.

> > It is true that the right thing for the Tor Browser team to do now
> > is either to take down the alpha sandbox, because it is known to
> > not work at all, or to put up a new updated one.
> >
> > Leaving the current one in place is not among the reasonable
> > options. :)
>
> I tend to agree although I think we should avoid just taking it down
> as it is not totally broken in the sense that choosing any option
> would result in a non-working browser.

I mean, the stable channel works, which is what people should be using
anyway, and it's not the first time that "oh, alpha is broken, and will
be for a while" cropped up, so it could be left as is, though now that
I tagged, if someone wants to rebuild they can.

Constructive(?) suggestions for long term solutions:

 * I've said previously what I think should happen so that everyone
   gets the sandbox.  Doing so would remove this as a separate
   component, with a "new and improved" launcher also handling
   sandboxing duties.  The QA situation presumably will be better
   in this sort of world, because breaking bugs will render the browser
   non-functional.

 * Decouple the sandboxed-tor-browser build/release from the alpha
   builds, so that the sandbox can be released after it's known to
   actually work with each new stable/alpha release.

 * (All other options involve varying degrees of "keep doing
    what we're doing now" and "give up on things".  Not really a
    suggestion, more of an indication of what's likely.)

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel