[tbb-dev] So, about the Linux sandbox in the long term?

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sat May 27 04:49:07 UTC 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:35:24 -0700
"Arthur D. Edelstein" <arthuredelstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The existing Linux sandbox does all of this already.  Re-doing
> > something that already exists (twice), seems somewhat silly to me.
>
> Of course it would be! :) For Linux, I was envisioning adopting your
> work into the standard TBB distribution. Not writing it again from
> scratch.

It's not clear to me how a lot of that is possible without either doing
a stupid amount of UI work (that will get thrown away), or rewriting a
lot of the sandboxing code in JS/C++.

Am I missing something?

> But we also need these steps on Windows and OS X. And my understanding
> is that on Linux there's more work to be done for step 4 and maybe
> some for the stopgap approach in step 3. Rather than waiting for a
> whole new tor-launcher UX in QT, maybe we can adopt your work from the
> earlier steps in standard TBB sooner.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial e-mail.

Even on Linux, there's a gigantic amount of work that's currently not
being done at all, that would be required to improve the "not sandbox"
components of the sandboxed launcher to get it up to parity with
`tor-launcher`, and the amount of work will only increase as
improvements and feature adds are made to `tor-launcher`[0].

*If* the plan is to eventually move to doing an external launcher,
there is basically no point at all to doing the "gigantic amount of UI
work", because it's for a codebase that is essentially dead, and
scheduled for replacement (with the grand unified Qt launcher of
awesome[1]).

Anyway, it's fairly clear to me that there is no clear plan for how to
handle sandboxing's requirements vs `tor-launcher`, so I will continue
with:

  "the only guaranteed maintenance it gets is that it will get fixes
   when it breaks on Yawning's laptop, or when people submit detailed
   bug reports that Yawning can fix in spare time"

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel

[0]: As an example, I don't have a good way to update the launcher.
[1]: If I had to support 3 platforms, I'd probably write the launcher
in C++ with Qt, instead of Go/Gtk3.