[tbb-dev] So, about the Linux sandbox in the long term?

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Sat May 27 00:45:03 UTC 2017

Thanks for the clarifications, Tom and Yawning.

> I'm curious what the long term plans for the sandbox are

It seems there are different threats due to browser exploits we are
discussing here: (1) pwnage of the whole computer, (2) modifying the
browser or tor binaries, (3) modifying the torrc or otherwise
launching tor in a malicious way, and (4) one-time deanonymization via
the ControlPort. So I wonder if it would make send to take a gradual
approach in which defenses are deployed one by one, starting with the
low-hanging fruit and working upwards. Something like:

Step 1: Containerize the whole bundle to defend against pwnage of the
whole computer.
Step 2: Create a external update mechanism and prevent firefox.exe
from writing to its own directory or the tor directory.
Step 3: Patch tor so that tor-launcher doesn't need to write to torrc
at all to configure tor. Launch tor independently of the browser, but
still configure tor using the tor-launcher extension UI, via a
filtered control port. Prevent firefox from accessing tor directory or
launching tor.
Step 4: Write a new tor-controller UI in QT or similar that replaces
functionality in tor-launcher and maybe the circuit display.

Am I right in thinking that there is a substantial security benefit to
each step? And would it be feasible to deploy each step to users in
standard Tor Browser without waiting for the next step to be ready?