[tbb-dev] Make Tor Binary location configurable in Tor Launcher?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Jun 17 15:44:09 UTC 2014

Hey Tails folks, hey Sukhbir,

In our efforts to streamline and reorganize the Tor Browser directory
structure for the Firefox updater, we have changed how Tor Launcher
finds the Tor binary:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/brade/tor-launcher.git/commitdiff/6599aca0c63944a4db7782fd47c0c6569d8dfdf0

We created a maint-0.2.5 Tor Launcher branch that preserves the old
location and behavior for Tor Launcher 0.2.5.x releases in Tor Browser
3.6, while the master branch will house 0.2.6 and use this new directory
structure for our upcoming 4.0-alpha series.

While reviewing that patch, it occurred to me that it might be useful to
make the path to the Tor binary configurable in a pref, rather than
hardcoding the depth and pieces of the directory structure in the code
and launching logic.

However, it probably only makes sense to do this if it would also be
useful to non-TBB consumers of Tor Launcher. Otherwise, we can keep
using the hardcoded values just for us, if you guys already have an
alternate way of launching Tor that you prefer.

Let us know what you think!

--
Mike Perry