[ooni-talk] Please update to OONI Probe Mobile 3.8.6

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri Feb 2 14:54:44 UTC 2024

Hi friends,

The OONI team has released *OONI Probe Mobile 3.8.6* on Android, F-Droid,
and iOS.

Please *update* to the latest version: https://ooni.org/install/mobile

The latest version (3.8.6) includes an *important fix* for the data quality
of the *Signal Private Messenger App experiment* (
https://ooni.org/nettest/signal) results.

Specifically, we have changed the tested endpoints in the Signal experiment
so that the testing of the Signal app no longer leads to faulty
measurements (though false positives can still occur).

The latest version improves the quality of Signal measurements, thereby
enabling you (and researchers around the world) to more accurately track
the accessibility or blocking of the Signal app.

We'd hugely appreciate it if you could please update to the latest OONI
Probe Mobile 3.8.6 version ASAP.

The fix is already available in OONI Probe CLI (https://ooni.org/install/cli).
We aim to release the fix on OONI Probe Desktop soon too.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your patience as
we worked towards shipping this fix.

We also thank you for your support and for continuing to contribute
measurements!

Best,

OONI team.