[ooni-talk] China is blocking OONI

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri Jul 28 20:36:23 UTC 2023

Hello,

Unfortunately, China started blocking OONI a few weeks ago.

Specifically, as of 7th July 2023, we have started to observe the blocking
of our website (ooni.org) and our censorship measurement app (OONI Probe)
in China. The block appears to be implemented by means of DNS injection and
TLS interference.

This is the first time that we're observing a large and persistent drop in
OONI measurement coverage as a result of OONI Probe blocking.

We just published a *report, documenting the blocking of OONI in China*
with OONI data: https://ooni.org/post/2023-china-blocks-ooni/

The report also includes advice for circumventing the blocking of OONI
Probe in China. However, running OONI Probe in China is now probably
riskier.

~ OONI team.