[ooni-talk] Nepal blocked TikTok

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Mon Dec 4 17:49:41 UTC 2023

Hi friends,

OONI just published a short *report on the blocking of TikTok in Nepal* in
previous days: https://explorer.ooni.org/findings/112092297601

In mid-November 2023, it was reported that TikTok was banned in Nepal, but
very few OONI measurements have been contributed since.

Yet, from the few OONI measurements available, we see clear evidence of
TikTok blocking.

Specifically, OONI data shows DNS based blocking of TikTok. On Ncell, we
see that an IP hosting a block page is returned as part of DNS resolution,
while on WorldLink Communications, we see the private IP 127.0.0.1 returned
as part of DNS resolution.

It remains unclear to us though if TikTok remains blocked (due to the
limited availability of related data).

If you are in Nepal, you can contribute more measurements by running OONI
Probe (https://ooni.org/install/). I'm happy to address any questions you
may have.

Thanks,

Maria.