[ooni-talk] [New Report] Zambia: Internet censorship during the 2016 general elections?

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Oct 11 10:46:19 UTC 2016

Hi Oonitarians,

I am sending this email to share our latest report:

"Zambia: Internet censorship during the 2016 general elections?"

You can find the report here:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/zambia-election-monitoring/

https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/785788027524087809

This report is a research study by OONI and Strathmore University's
Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law (CIPIT),
examining internet censorship during Zambia's 2016 general elections.

The key findings of our study illustrate that 10 websites (including
Pinterest, the website of the World Economic Forum, and online dating
sites) presented signs of DNS, TCP/IP and HTTP interference during
Zambia's 2016 election period, while previously blocked news outlets
(such as zambiawatchdog.com) appeared to be accessible during the
testing period. While the blocking of pornography and sites supporting
LGBT dating (as indicated by this study) could potentially be legally
justified under Zambia's Penal Code and Electronic Communications and
Transactions Act 2009, the motivation and legal justification behind the
potential blocking of other sites (such as Pinterest) remains unclear.
No block pages were detected as part of this study that could _confirm_
cases of censorship.

We would appreciate it if you could share this report with your
networks, and please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or
feedback you may have.

Thanks and all the best,

Maria.

- --
Maria Xynou
Research and Partnerships Coordinator
Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI)
https://ooni.torproject.org/
PGP Key Fingerprint: 2DC8 AFB6 CA11 B552 1081 FBDE 2131 B3BE 70CA 417E