[global-south] Stauts of Global South Projects

ilv at torproject.org ilv at torproject.org
Wed Apr 11 03:23:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:45:35PM -0300, Rafael Bonifaz wrote:

> El 10/04/18 a las 13:22, George escribió:
> > [....]
> > You're not *missing* it, but I'm wondering about determining two or
> > three annual events like open source cons in LATAM that the TPO could
> > focus on, meaning:
> >
> > * have a table with swag
> >
> > * submit presentations
> >
> > * have a relay ops meeting as a BoF
> >
> > * make sure there's a decent number of people attending from TPO, even
> > if it means dealing with travel costs
> >
> > Starting a consistent presence at some events matters... since those you
> > see annually gives us credibility.
> The Latin American Free Software Festival (FLISOL) would be on April 28.
> It is not actually a conference, but hundreds of conferences distributed
> all over Latin America in 20 countries.[1] This has been happening in a
> very distributed way every year since 2005.
>
> I think that a simple thing like a blog post in the Tor blog that:
>     *Congratulates the Free Software community in Latin America for the
> promoting of freedom in the digital era for 14 consecutive years.
>     *Encourage people to promote and teach Tor and other privacy tools
> during the event.
>     *Ask people who are going to talk about Tor to let the Tor Project
> know about them.
>     *Invite those who are promoting Tor to this mailing list, and it
> would be nice to have a tor-talk-es@ and tor-talk-pt@ mailing list and
> invite people to join.
>
> This is a nice importunity that happens one time in the year. It would
> help the Free Software community learn about Tor and it would also help
> Tor to learn about people who are actually promoting Tor, but are not
> close to the project.
>
> What do you think? I would be more than happy to come up with a draft.

Thanks Rafael, I think this is a good idea. There was also the suggestion of
doing a blog post about a new mailing list in spanish in [0]. We could actually
do both things together. After Vasilis mail on this same mailing list one or
two weeks ago I contacted the people of Flisol Santiago to see when and where
it would happen this year. Due to time constraints I am not sure I could
prepare something for this year's Flisol but sure I can try. Anyway, I like
the idea.

[0] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001726.html

Saludos.
--i