[anti-censorship-team] future of PTs

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Thu Oct 12 10:55:12 UTC 2023

During last week's meeting we had a conversation on the future of Pluggable
Transports. Our current pt protocol[0] have many limitations, the two main ones
are:
  * We have to do hacks to do things like passing arguments, and they come with
    many problems[1]
  * There are not many SOCKS server implementations and many PTs end up needing
    to implement their own (goptlib and proteus have done it)

We have being wondering if making a change from SOCKS to a HTTP based protocol
is the solution we need[2].

For mobile phones we will need PTs to be implemented as libraries, and some
projects like IPtProxy[3] have being created to work around that limitation. It
looks like we will want anyway a future were arti has PT plugins and PTs are
integrated in arti. We might want to extend that idea to implement all the
connect assist workflow there, so clients that use arti don't need to implement
all the logic themselves again and again.

With that future of PTs as plugins. Do we still need a inter-process PT
protocol? and need to make a new version of the pt-spec[0]? Or should we ditch
it and start working on what will that plugin API/ABI look like and how PTs will
be integrated there?

It looks like this conversation doesn't fit well in our irc weekly meetings,
let's have a voice meeting to discuss this. I have created a poll to see what
https://www.systemli.org/poll/#/poll/YRRF8K19Bq/participation?encryptionKey=e1f9KPaHH6z7I6uYGNQVlegHvMGB3aHJaEufGQl7

[0] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/pt-spec.txt
[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/104
[2] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/130